Page Navigation [ System Requirements | Download | Changelog | License ]
What is Periscope?
Periscope, or Periscope File Manager, is an open source shell coded by Yushatak. It's designed to be completely cross-platform, and highly configurable to a user's desired functionality. It acts as both a file browser (shown below) and as a shell.
To run it in shell mode, you add the command line parameter "shell" when executing Periscope. Currently the shell mode is only capable of imitating a non-MDI version of Program Manager, but this will change as development proceeds. This is pictured in the next screenshot.
Periscope is written in Python, so can run on a variety of platforms. The only real limiting factor for what systems it can run on is wxPython/wxWidgets, which it utilizes for it's UI.
- Any hardware.
- Python Interpreter for your hardware and OS.
- wxPython bindings to wxWidgets for your OS.
Windows Software Requirements
On Windows, Periscope should run on any Windows version other than 0.x 1.x, 2.x, and non-NT 3.x. I hope to support Windows 3.x in the future, though. Specific per-version requirements are as follows:
On Windows 95 through Windows ME
- Python 2.5
- wxPython ANSI
- Win32 extensions.
On Windows NT3 (untested) through Windows NT6.2 (Windows 8)
- Python 2.5 or higher (tested up to 2.7)
- wxPyton Unicode
- Win32 extensions.
Periscope is hosted on Google Code, under it's Unix name "periscope-file-manager". You can get a copy of it there. Since Periscope is written in an interpreted language, the source download can be directly executed, and is in fact the main release. Binary releases for Windows are released when possible, but Python EXE tools tend to be sporadically maintained/compatible.
This changelog is maintained for development record inside of the source file, but for your convenience I will keep an up-to-date copy of it here, including (on occasion) upcoming version update logs.
This license is very slightly modified from the XFree86 license, the only difference being the terms of the copyright notice/license redistribution specifics (#1 below).
Periscope File Manager
Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Yushatak
All rights reserved.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain and reproduce (CLI [and GUI if applicable]) the above copyright notice, and retain this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.
2. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any, must include the following acknowledgment: "This product includes software developed by Yushatak and project contributors", in the same place and form as other third-party acknowledgments. Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself, in the same form and location as other such third-party acknowledgments.
3. Except as contained in this notice, the name Yushatak shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from Yushatak.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL YUSHATAK OR PROJECT CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.